The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Ryan5O

WA State Seat Belt Law - Mystery

OK, this is about to drive me nuts. I'm prior law enforcement and have plenty of law enforcement contacts, so I didn't think this was going to turn into a big deal. The initial question goes as follows: "Is a 1972 pickup required to have shoulder harnesses if the vehicle comes from the mfgr with lap belts only?" The consistent answer I receive is "No, if the vehicle came from the mfgr with lap belts only and it has not had shoulder harness previously installed, then it's legal." That's the answer that I expected.

I then follow up with "Show me in the statute where I can find this shoulder harness exception". After some research, the exact same contacts come back and say "uh, it looks like they are required."

Ive even had the WA State Patrol advise me that Im required to install aftermarket 3pt belts.

So, now I'm in contact with the WA State Safety Restraint Coalition and they've have also advised me that the shoulder harness is not required. Ive given them the same follow up question and they are currently researching the matter.

Any attorney's, LEO's or law geeks out there that know the answer to this one? I believe its hidden int he Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations Standard No 210.

I'm just looking for something easy to interpret to keep in my glove box, so that when Johnny Law fresh from the academy thinks he has something to prove.

Thanks
R