The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
hick

Welding A Frame... Better Then Before Or Strictly Show?

Folks,

I have been a long time lurker and am dying to come out of the shadows with a truck to work on... but i am having a hard time making up my mind. So I hope you don't mind me posting a more "general" question as opposed to a more project specific vehicle... Hoping this might make my choice a little easier

It common practice in here to cut a LWB into a SWB. I want a SWB 3/4 BUT I don't want to loss the ability and strength of the 3/4. IE I still want to be able to haul with it, tow with it, etc

In your opinions, as i feel this is the single most experienced forum on this topic, if done by professionals (a full blown welding/frame shop) is a shortened 3/4 ton frame as strong as a factory? Assuming the welds are done properly, its fish plated and EVEN boxed... am I losing any integrity?

I do appreciate any and all insight, as a lurker i have come to realize there are many knowledgeable people in here.

Keep up the good work guys, and thank you for keeping this forum #1 in my history.

Scott
hick is offline   Reply With Quote