The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Robbo

Anyone in DFW, TX that could look over? 51 price check?

Hello,

If this type thread isn't in the right place or allowed then I apologize in advance. Tried to search "worth" and "price check" and didn't come up with anything pointing to it being out of order.

My wife and I have looked at a 51 for sale locally. After seeing it in person, I really got the feeling that I need someone who KNOWS these things to look it over. It highlighted how much I need to learn.

Is there someone in DFW that might be available to help me by taking a ride to look this over?

My wife and I looked at it and drove it. Starts and runs well, though it's the first of this era truck I've driven so evaluating the ride, tranny etc was beyond me haha. It shifted into gear well when I could get the double clutch thing down. I killed it a couple of times at a stop sign due to not realizing I was in 3rd... and it started right back up like a sewing machine.

In the cab corners, on the inside, one corner has what looks to be some sort of fiberglass patch. The other corner feels solid to my hand, but you can see some sort of filler that has pushed through a pinhole of light opaquely (ie - it's tinted red b/c the paint has sealed the hole I guess.) showing through. Not even sure I'm describing that well haha.

As I said, once we saw/drove the truck I realized "I don't even know what I don't know" about these things haha.

Any ballpark estimates on this that you might give based on this info and just seeing these pictures? Perhaps there is more you guys can see immediately in the pictures than I can. Seller said he bought it as is and they just use it occasionally to drive it into town for lunch (ie - no long or much hwy driving). He said the PO converted it to 12v, and had recently replaced the radiator before he bought it. Vacuum wipers worked. I didn't see any significant rust on the undercarriage. A little surface rust here and there, but that was all I spotted (didn't have it on a lift...just on hands/knees looking around).

If we bought it, we would likely keep it pretty much as is and do exactly what he did with it.... occasional good weather leisurely trips to lunch/shows etc. I would probably eventually want to hook the heater back up and MAYBE if my wife loved it enough (it's really for her to drive) look at a vintage air setup.... not sure if any of that info is pertinent... but there it is anyhow...

Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote