The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
bradford

Fun video for you to watch....help!

Its not so fun for me.
I am lost.

Situation: 350 block, 307 heads (previous owner), 4 speed manual 4x4.

My truck has been running like crap, so one at a time, I have been swapping parts. I like new shiny stuff so I don't really mind too much but its getting annoying when it doesn't work.
The truck was way underpowered and when accelerating in third gear going to fourth (not floored), it would act like it was running out of gas ....chug jump chug....
No problem, changed the fuel filter. No good. changed fuel pump because I noticed the filter wasn't filling up at all and it was just spitting randomly into the filter.
After changing the pump, I instantly noticed a change. Not so weak, acceleration picked up. But while fiddling with the old Holley that was on it, I noticed it was leaking gas from all over the place when it wasn't running. No problem. I was going to change it out any way.

So, new fuel pump, new 600 cfm edelbrock and it runs alot better. I have had 2 instances where it bogs down like it has no gas. I do believe my distributor is bad too because when I changed out the carb, I changed the vacuum lines as well and the noticed the vacuum advance was loose on the distributor.
That and it doesn't want to start sometimes like its flooding out.

So, I have 2 questions.
1: why the hell is the fuel filter not filling up and spitting gas randomly? 1.1: Is that normal?

2: would a bad distributor make it act like it was running out of gas?

I am just about ready to start riding the motorcycle everyday and give up on this motor and save my money for a new one.
I've replaced just about every gasket I can on it to stop the oil leaks, changed the exhaust, headers, and talked to it at night and told it it was a good engine and it still wont perform the normal duties of a reliable engine!
On top of all that, it still gets 8-9 MPG!!!!!!!!! This cannot be normal!

bradford is offline   Reply With Quote