The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
rhodog77

Electric Fan/Relay......Need some help!!!!

Hey guys,

I have installed a electric fan from skip white performance with a 50 amp relay. I have everything wired up but I can get the fan to kick on. The temp sender is set to open up at 200 and close at 185. I ran the motor up to 220 and still nothing. I thought that I had a bad sender so I spoke with skip white and they sent me another one. I installed it tonight and still nothing. My wiring kit is set up for both a relay and for a switch. I really want to stick with the relay but will run it with the switch if I have to. When I wire it to a switch, the fan works fine. The temp sensor is "ground seeking" unit. When the temp sensor reaches the preset temp the switch opens up and completes the ground which completes the relay to kick the fan on. Here is the issue, I know that the fan is wired correctly because when I disconnect the temp sensor wire and ground it to the motor or even to the pipe plug that the temp sensor is in...the fan kicks on like it is supposed to.

All I can guess is that the sender is bad or the sender is not registering the temp. I have it installed in the intake next to the water jacket. I dont know if installing it into the block somewhere will make a difference. Im pretty stumped at this point. If anyone has some tips or advice, I would really appreciate it. This is like the last thing keeping me from getting it on the road.
Attached Images

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote