The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
kf4jfk

Questions from a Newby!

First off I want to say I have fell in love with this forum. There is so much valuable information that I find myself losing sleep, but i'm not complaining. I have been searching for my next toy for some time and I finally found it. Its a 1964 GMC Fleetside Longbed w/ 305ci V6 and a 4-speed.

Let me add that I have tried searching this forum and other sites on the web for the answers to the following questions, but with no success.

Now the questions:

1)I know that these engines are rare and only were in the GMC trucks, but I cannot find any specifications on the engine. I am needing to know what weight oil and capacity. Any recommendations Accepted! I have checked the "6066 GMC Guy" website, but have had no luck. The reason I need the capacity is the oil pan has been knocked in from the previous owner. It does not leak and i do have good oil pressure on the gauge in the cab. Can anyone help?

2)I am loving this 305 V6 engine. What a power house! It has a Rochester 2 barrel carb on it. Is this original? (I had to pull it off and clean it due to the truck sitting for some time before I bought the truck.) The only reason that I am questioning the originality is I cannot slow the idle speed down. I have backed the idle screw all the way out and it still idles at 1300-1500 rpm. I have checked the pedal linkage and seems to not be in a bind. Other than the idle speed, the truck has a pretty decent powerband.

I appreciate any all help. I am truly stumped with these issues. I also want to apologize if I put this thread in the wrong place. I am new to the forum life, but am looking forward to busting some knuckle on my new bucket!

Thanks so much in advance for everyone's help.
kf4jfk is offline   Reply With Quote