The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Crazy 60 gal air compressor story. How and what happened??

One of the first things I did when I bought my used Campbell/Hausfled compressor was to install a ball valve. I do this as a safety precaution and to install and change hoses/fittings. I had a hose that was in bad need of changing. It would sometimes blow out while I was using it. The last blowout was near the end so I just shortened the hose a bit and went on using. I forgot to shut off the valve before I went to bed.

I woke up at about 4:30 in the morning to use the little boy's room. I could feel a vibration and could also hear something. I live in a 2 story house so the garage is a little ways away. Once done, I started to walk downstairs and knew it was the compressor. I opened the door and found my entire garage FILL WITH SMOKE. It was so bad I couldn't see my car. I shut off the comp and opened the main garage door. Went back to bed and laid there, sick to my stomach thinking my house could have just caught on fire!

When I got up a little later on, I went back to the garage and was surprised that it didn't smell like smoke. I stuck my nose up to the electric motor but it didn't smell burnt. I told my wife what had happened and her mouth about dropped open. She said she heard the compressor come on at about 11 pm and then fell asleep. THAT COMPRESSOR RAN FOR OVER 5 STRAIGHT HOURS NON STOP!!!!!! I knew it was toast. I was sure everything would seize up and weld together once it cooled. I turned the thing on and couldn't believe it started. It went right up to pressure and turned off. This was a couple of weeks ago and the darn thing works PERFECT. What I can't believe is how could I have had that much smoke (it was not steam or any water vapor) and not have killed the compressor. Does anyone know what would have cause so much smoke and yet not affect the compressor at all (at least as far as working correctly)???? It is a dual piston motor. Seems like the pistons and or rings should have literally melted running that long.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote