The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Ryan5O

72 C10 900 Mile Trip Update

Here's my update from the original post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467870

Spent a couple weeks out at my Grandpas and went through the truck pretty good. Spent some money in the process.

* Check fluids, chassis lube ect ect
* Changed points
* Alternator bearings
* Top Carb gasket
* Alternator belt
* Set timing to 4, was 30
* New drive shaft bearing
* New break booster, previously manual brakes
* New 3pt belts, previously lap belts
* New pvc valve (impulse buy at the parts store)
* New rear brake shoes
* Turned rear drums
* Adjusted emergency break
* Did a clear vinyl wrap on the lower body panels (turned out great);

Overall not to bad. The trip itself cost me about $300 in fuel and averaged 11-14 mph. I drove it probably 40 miles while I was up there and didnt see any problems. I did see some black carbon on the rear panels near the exhaust, thought it just needed to "stretch its legs." After starting the trip back, I realized that its burning oil. I think I went through about 6 qts. Ive attached a pic of the carbon on the back panel. The wife said that if I gunned it, she could see a small amount of black smoke from the pipes. Its not leaking oil. Ive got a few ideas of the cause, but if anyone has any this experience please share.

If anyone is looking for a real nice Chevy hubcab, I lost one on hwy 90 between Missoula MT and Coeur d'Alene ID. Luckily, my Father in law found one at the salvage yard in Coeur d Alene. Ive got an extra GMC hubcab thats on my spare if anyone wants to trade for a chevy...

So far owning the truck has been great. People never fail to give a complement and its fun to work on. Its getting comical getting rid of one noise, just to hear a new one pop up the next day.

Ive got some other weird issues to take care of and I'll safe it for another post.
Attached Images