The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Big Jake

1987 Chevy pick-up HELP. Please

Hi guys, this is my first thread and post ever and I really need your help.

Here is what I got. 1987 Chevy Pick-up, 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive, 305, fuel injected, throttle body. Duel fuel tanks

Here is the issue: I have been gone for 90 days for work, semi deployment if you will, and when I get back I get in my old truck, that I love, and it's hard to start, then it starts and runs for a minute then dies. Fuel issue right? Maybe not. I get it running and drive it, then it dies at the fuel station, when I stop. Get is started again, lots of cranking and drive it home. Then it dies again.

Long story short, if you keep your foot on the throttle, it will run, IF you can get it started at all. I switched the tanks via the fuel tank selector switch. Same problem. Now, it won't start at all. It is cranking fine, and it wants to start, but it won't.

Now, I think it has 2 fuel pumps, 1 in each tank right? Well, both didn't go out right? So this makes me think it could be an ignition module. I saw a thread on here where a guy sort of the same problem.

I need help badly. Ignition module? Both fuel pumps? Ignition coil?

Thank you in advance fellas. I really need some help on this one.
Big Jake is offline   Reply With Quote