The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
mud slut 350

Squishy brakes suddely!!

So heres the story... on my 82 k10 i was installing the pedal setup for my conversion from a th350 to a sm465 which was a pain in the . I removed the column and in order to pull the pedal setup i had to pull the brake booster and master off the firewall so i could pull the pushrod out far enough to pull the pedals out. I DID NOT disconnect any brakelines or empty the master at all. all i did was pull the nuts off and back the booster and master off the firewall. put everything all back together with the new pedals and all. i went to drive the truck and the pedal went right to the floor . before i did this i could barely push the pedal all the way to the floor and even running 35x12.5s would lock up the front tires on bone dry asphalt. Now it will go to the floor easily. it still stops the truck but probably longer stopping distance than a semi hauling a full load of sod. also when i press the pedal it hisses in the hole the push-rod goes into the booster (obviously vacuum leak). fluid is full and there are no leaks anywhere. ive bled the brakes at least 4 different times and get solid stream with no bubbles. I know the booster is shot now obviously but thats no reason for a soft pedal it should be really hard still and i should still be able to stop. Any help would be great if i can get out of just buying a booster and use the master i have. any help would be great!
mud slut 350 is offline   Reply With Quote