The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

It's been a week since I worked on the truck, and it's probably good to take a break once in a while. The time lets me think about what I'm doing and where to go next. This afternoon I started working on moving the wiring harness for the EFI towards the rear of the engine and really like hows it coming out. No pics yet, but I'll get some this weekend. I was using a boss on the front of the intake as a ground mount, but was able to move those to the back of the passenger side head. The engine will still need more detailing work in the future, but it's coming along.

I started working on the exhaust system also. I have the collectors to the x pipe mocked up and started working from the x pipe back. I am in the process of cutting holes throught the crossmember where the trailing arms attach for the pipes to route through behind the mufflers. I'm undecided how far back I'm going to take the exhaust. I moght dump it in front of the axle.

I've been spraying the brake bleeders with pb blaster hoping to be able to crack them open and get the air out of the system. I really want to take this thing for just a little drive.

I got the last bolt heads sprayed with body color from the body shop today. And I paid them. So that part is behind me now. Time to start making some more money and selling parts so I can continue with my projects. The total was $3388, which included some materials I bought through them, and upgrading to a high solids clear coat. They also finished patching up some holes in the bed and refixed a cab corner for me. Overall, I'm happy with the results and thrilled that I've taken this project to this point. I know it will be finished, and soon, with just upgrades for it in the future while I can finally enjoy it again.

I think the biggest part of the build thats left will be getting the interior done the way I want it. That might not happen til next spring, but who knows. In the mean time I'll have a good condition interior that doesn't quite all match exactly. The rest of whats left is mostly just bolting things back together.

For those of you that have not gotten to this point in a build yet, the challenge I've been having is finding the right bolts and screws. There are a few issues, first is that I have parted several trucks/blazers the past few years and I have stuff all over. Second is that even if I find them, they are not in the greatest condition and I'm not comfortable installing parts with rusty screws. Third, if the bolts are to be painted that means cleaning, primering and painting all the bolt heads (I'm using some peg board to hold the bolts for painting, drilled out as needed). Fourth, some just can't be found or I know they were broken in order to get things apart, like the bumper bolts, etc. which all need replaced now.

Anyone know what size screws are needed to bolt the side mirror back on? Seriously. I don't think I ever had the correct ones.

Things I want for the future upgrades:
Newer style headlights with relay harness
Rear disk brakes
Tach/vac gage cluster
Chrome grill
LS motor and overdrive tranny
Air conditioning
Wheels/tires
Who knows what else.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote