The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
foamypirate

Project Texas Snowball 1987 R10

So, I finally started tearing my truck down. I've had it for almost 2 years now, with the intentions to restore it the whole time. There were a whole host of things that came up that made it impossible to do at that time, not to mention the least of which was living in an apartment. Whoops. Fast forward to now, and I've finally got my own house and garage, and plenty of time to work on it.

I kind of snowballed into it (hence the title), as I was really just going to remove the AC condenser to get measurements so I could order a new parallel flow condenser and get my AC working again. That turned into, "well, these head light buckets are getting kind of rusty...better take these off and get them powder coated." Then off came the battery tray...and the bumper, and the hood latch, and the radiator support.

That's where I'm at as of now, so not too far into it. I'm planning on powder coating all of the miscellaneous little bits in the engine bay (brackets, head light buckets, battery tray, etc). Then I'll move onto the rest of the truck to do body work and frame cleanup. Paint color is undecided, but will probably be some sort of pearl or metallic blue. Drive train will be some sort of LS engine in front of a TKO600/500 and 3.42. I'll probably change my mind 10 times before I get around to actually doing this portion though.

I'm definitely not going to go crazy and bag it and slam it or anything. To get an idea of what I'm looking to accomplish, here is a picture of one of our member's truck that I LOVE!

Inspiration!

Pictures of the beast itself!

When I brought her home:

Cleaned up the hood (which quickly faded again because the paint is toast):

As she stood as of last week:

How she stands now:

It's going to be a long journey, and I look forward to sharing it with you guys! Thanks for reading my wall of text.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote