The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Thrmn8r

68 GMC LS1 Conversion ** HELP ME or SHOOT ME **

All I can say now is shoot me.
Truck was fine .. but got a hair up my butt.
The 1968 3/4 ton long bed.. is now going to be a 1/2 ton, short bed with a 67 cab, and a 2002 LS1 5.3l Vortec with the matching 4l60e Tranny.
Problem at the time being is the motor mounts.
I have purchased adapter plates from Trans Dapt that move the motor back 1" to match stock.
It came with new mounts that mount to motor.
Ordered the "tubular motor mounts from Classic Parts..
Problem is this.
Put all that stuff on. .and no way in Heck that I can drop motor with out it hitting the stock exhaust manifolds that came on motor.
they literally rest on the top of the tubular mounts before it can make contact with the actual motor mount. I have mad my own extensions/ spacers to go with the stock motor mounts.. but don't think they will work either due to wiring harness hitting steering bar.

Some one please tell me I need to spend another 1 billion dollars on custom headers or something..
I took off the exhaust manifolds.. and motor sets on mounts, but what I made will not work.. and will have to go with the "tubular small block motor mounts" with new style motor mount bushings.
No where does it say.. "new headers are required, stock exhaust manifolds will not work" I am done buyin stuff I don't need, and having stuff I do need and not knowing how to make it work with what I got .
UGHHHHH
If I need headers.. some one tell me what I need. or just give me a bullet !!
This is just the beginning.
I have heard of horror stories on fuel issues and wiring issues.. I just want it to sit in the freakin frame so I can enjoy those other headaches !!!
** first pic should be of the mounts.
Second should be of the motor on make shift mounts.. and cab sittin on frame to check for clearance..
third is the spacer plates I tried.
Any ways.. help..
Also.. if ya know what I need to do to hook up the tranny linkage.. that will be coming up soon !
Attached Images

Thrmn8r is offline   Reply With Quote