The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
troostr

Aftermarket Gauge Help

Hi All! LONG time lurker- I have learned a ton on this forum to help with my 64 and now my 52. I traded into this 52, some good clip work done, decent paint, body- just a real nice driver! My problem was the PO put in under dash "band-aid" gauges because the originals were bad. bad looking, not working, just bad. So after reading the Dolphin Gauge thread I opted for New Vintage Woodward gauges - very similar to stock looking. First, the are 4-3/8 not 4-5/8 like most popular "5 inch" speedo/quad pairs, so I had to use a 4-5/8 bezel set, modified and mounting kit to get them in- the speedo rear mounting studs aren't clocked level so to get it level I had to build extra mounts for the speedo brackets to bolt on to the factory dash studs. So after they are all in and wired, the fuel reads full all the time, I checked grounds all over. The oil pressure reads correct ( the same as the under-dash gauge I took out) The volt is correct, the Temp reads WAY hot- no teflon on the sender, gauges are well grounded -I even ran a temp wire direct to the battery ground. Also the speedo won't calibrate correctly (against a gps)

SO, I was looking at another thread about what seats fit- and all the killer interior pics and I see a lot of actual 5 inch aftermarket gauges- 5 inch as in the exact same size as stock- only 12v and read more than 80 mph, 30 psi oil pressure. I am not happy with the New Vintage set I have and want something that fits without an extra bezel- does anyone make such a thing?

What are you guys running/ have installed that you are happy with? Pics would be awsome! but I can find them online if I have to
Thanks for your help on this! Here's a couple pics of some of my junk.
Name:  skidmark 152.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  52.6 KB