The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
burkeens

Re: The torch is passed.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread revived. Thanks for your interest, oldblue68.

After reading all the suggestions back when this thread was first posted, I took the advice of just getting to know the truck and enjoying driving it for a while. At one point, I decided to have a really good paint job done on it with a bonus I thought I was going to get at work, but the bonus never materialized, so that went on hold. But since the paint issues are mostly patina rather than rust, I am OK with that for now. I did have the dealership name engraving in the rear farm bumper painted back in. (My uncle had painted over the bumper at some point, but the indents were still there.) I had them repainted in the original red by a sign painter who did a great job. And I put a new set of whitewalls on it.

I thought about putting bigger tires on it, but decided to stay with roughly the original size. I believe it had 215/70R15s on it and I replaced them with a new set of Firestone FR380 whitewall 215R75-15s. I know some folks think that looks to small, and it does look odd compared to a new model truck, but I like the originality of it and more importantly, this is the way I always remember the truck looking. The truck still has the original spare underneath, so there is something to compare to.

Unless I get an unexpected pile of money soon, my next projects are going to be small. I probably will get a seat cover, maybe one of those saddle blanket kinds. The seat is in great condition, so I don't want to mar it. And I probably will have the same guy that repainted the bumper lettering to repaint the wheel covers. I might try the original alternate wheel covers, too, the smaller argent silver ones. My uncle had saved those and gave them to me recently. Maybe I will also put the original west coast mirrors on, too.

I am keeping it garaged indoors, but I take it out at least once a week when it's not raining. I have hauled 2 or 3 loads in it, but mostly I just drive it for fun and to keep avoid decay. Mechanically, the 307 still starts on the first turn and purrs. (When cold, I have to pull out the choke first.) I am definitely keeping the 3 speed on the column. I've really taken to that and want to keep that original. And I have kept the drum brakes. They work just fine for what they are and I drive it conservatively, allowing for plenty of stopping room, to the extent that is under my control.

Otherwise, I would like to put in 3-point seatbelts, particularly so my son can ride with me. (He did that some when I could buckle in his carseat using the lap belts, but now that he has moved to a booster seat, he will need a 3-point belt.) The truck probably will be his some day and really likes to ride in it, and even just to sit in it when it is parked. I feel a little bad that he will never know the truck the way I did growing up, riding down the highway and across my uncle's farm on the rear wheelwell, but I guess safety is more important.

I'd also like to redo all the window seals and felt, but that's another project that will depend upon funds and time. Maybe I should also replace the rear view mirror, which has lost of if its reflectiveness. And maybe even the windshield, which has clouded a little on the edges.

See, now you've made me think again about all the projects I would like to do. (My wife will not be happy.) But seriously, I have really enjoyed this board and learned a lot from all of you. Thanks very much.

Anyway, I will try to take more photos this weekend and post them soon. Thanks for the interest.

P.S. prariewolf, where in the lower cab corners are you recommending drilling the small holes? Do you have a photo of that? I didn't know about the cowl drain, so I will look for that, too. Thanks.
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote