The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
H8PVMNT

Bad ECM?

So I figured out how to get really great gas milage from my '88 TBI 454... Pull it behind a Dodge.

We recently aquired a 1988 1 ton crew cab dually truck with the TBI 454. Lately it will intermittently blow the ECM fuse. I have looked for bare wires etc and made a few repairs, but the truck still blows the fuse every so often. Usually after fooling with things and replacing the fuse it will fire up again.

Tonight while towing a loaded horse trailor complete with a horse it blew again, this time replacing the fuse didn't work, it just keeps blowing them out. Nothing I can see on the surface should be causing a short. One guy told me he had a similar problem and he had a bad ECM.

-Oh yeah, we have what we believe is a bad fuel pump on the driver's side tank. I allready replace the valve/switch dealy that switches from one line to the other... When we try to use that side it doesn't get any fuel. Could a bad fuel pump blow a fuse?

Does that sound right or could I be missing something else? I'd like a few ideas before I go hunting for an ECM...

Three beers for the guy who gives a correct diagnosis...

Last edited by H8PVMNT; 08-25-2011 at 01:46 AM.
H8PVMNT is offline   Reply With Quote