The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
HEI451
Account Suspended

Brake booster mounting question for CaptainFab

I was messing around under the hood of my 1 ton earlier today, with the S10 brake booster, and came up with a question that I probably already know the answer to, but just need a more knowledge than I have.

The S10 booster mounts the unit to the firewall with the master cylinder studs at horizontal, straight across. The studs on the master to booster end up straight across.

My drum brake master has the same center to center dimension for the mount bolts, as does the S10. But, the 1 ton master has offset bolt orientation.

Now, for the questions:

Is here anything inside the booster that would stop it from working correctly IF it were rotated to the angle of the drum master mounting holes? This looks like about 35 degrees of rotation counter clock wise. This would allow the master to bolt to the booster, in the correct orientation, not tilted, no adapter.

The other adapter, firewall to booster, would be the part that would get redrilled/manufactured to rotate it on the firewall for that correct master bolt angle. I don't remember anything inside the booster that was sensitive to where it sits on the firewall, and, from the outside, the only thing that would get changed is the vacuum hose fitting, rotated down about 35 degrees, as the booster body was rotated.

What say you, will the booster work right if it is not sitting in the same position on this chassis, vs its original home, the S10??
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote