The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
jdheff1982

Starter issues, again.

The starter on this truck has given me tons of grief. I have been thru 2 within a 2 to 3 week period. This last time, I replaced battery cabling with larger wiring. The starter starts fine, but in some cases, it grinds the fly wheel. When I try again, it'll turn the truck over. The battery has plenty of juice and the wiring is well connected.

The truck goes thru this weird starting cycle too. At times, the starter sounds very happy and I have no problems turning over the motor. Other times, the starter sounds like the juice is weak. And other times, it grinds the flywheel.

The starter is shimmed with 1 shim. The support bracket is missing that would support the back side of the starter. When I was under the truck last, the flywheel seemed to be in good shape. So, I am confused as to what could be causing the intermittent grinding.