The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
neverwinter

argh 63 c10 is gonna be a hefty price tag - info from my mechanic

son of a b. just got a call from my mechanic and he said - you need to come down here. i trust this guy 1000% and so i gathered up what was left of my optimism and my 3 year old daughter for good luck and headed down. ugh not good.

- all 4 drums need replacing
- all 4 need new shoes etc
- need 1 lower control arm since when i lost my wheel the arm got a bit flattened
- rear axle has at least 1 leaking seal
- he cant tell whats going but it looks like there is everything for power steering BUT the power steering pump itself. and what IS there he said is junk. so do i figure out how to go to manual steering? did these ever have power steering?
- there were other items to address but i got overwhelmed at that point and my daughter was passed out.

so do i keep this? try and sell it with full disclosure? on top of these fixes it needs a windshield and new tires to pass inspection. we are very easily talking about doubling the cost of my "investment" of $2500.

i didnt expect the truck to be perfect, but i was led to believe it was a solid daily driver. and it did in fact stop and turn and go - albeit only "sort" of in all 3!

but i know that if the mechanics are solid underneath and if i ever decide to drop in a newer engine ill have a pretty sweet truck for still under 7-8k.

just trying to sort a plan and make some decisions. arghhhhhhhhhhhhh..

any thoughts/opinions/ideas/game plans are truly appreciated. do i say to heck with it and sell it? or look into disk swaps and sourcing a different rear axle and driveshaft? stuff like that would be tremendously helpful to understand. im not shy of a project but i need to keep my head and finances in order considering our 2nd child is due in oct.

sincere thanks for any input.

- jason
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote