The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
NC-K5

Electrical Gremlins

As “Bull 72” posted way back when, “Some guys have skills and some have bills.” Well, I am another one with bills – and electrical gremlins – and I’m hoping some of you guys with skills can help out.

I bought a 72 K5 about a month ago, and had it shipped here. When it got here on the transport truck, the battery was dead. It jumped after a few minutes, and everything seemed fine. I started it up again later that day, no problem, and it drives great. But the next morning, it was dead as a doornail again. And I couldn’t even get it to jump.

I brought the battery to work, and a guy I work with tested it. Totally dead, but he charged it back up, it was fully charged, and I dropped it back in. And nothing. No crank, not even the headlights would come on.

So AAA towed it in to the mechanic, who replaced the battery cable and a couple other things. Started right up when I went to pick it up, and had a great 10-minute drive home. Next morning, same thing. Dead again.

So here comes AAA again with the tow-truck. This time, the mechanic replaced the battery, and the starter, and was convinced problems would be solved. And again, starts right up, I get a glorious ride home, drive thru the BK for a whopper, and pull in the driveway thinking I’m driving the new truck to work tomorrow. Later that night, again it won’t start! The headlights would still come on, and the brake light on the dash would come on, and the engine was clearly trying to crank a bit. And the next morning, I tried again, and no reaction at all. No crank, no lights, no nothing.

So I’m no genius, but it seems to me that something is draining the battery while the car isn’t running – as evidenced by the fact that the longer I wait to start it, the less reaction I get, even from headlights, and dashlights.

I haven’t had a chance to take it back to the mechanic yet, but was wondering if any of you guys have any clues. My mechanic has already banged me up for an unreasonable amount of money, and I’m still right where I started.
NC-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote