The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
ChumBucket

**Total Noob - Quick Build, Need Input**

Ok, my 1st post so a little about me before I get to the begging portion...yes, it's wordy, stay with it.

The whole "old skool" bug bit me while I was in Iraq in 2009, somebody showed me one of the rat rodder magazines and I was totall blown away, never knew anything like this existed, since my return I had looked hi and lo and done tons of research trying to figure out what I wanted to get. (My wife conceded to my "deployment gift to myself" sham, she's the $hit!!).

I was introduced to this site about 6 months ago and you guys are one of the primary reasons that I ended up selecting a 69 LWB as my 1st "old skool" build. It's old enough to be cool, old enough so I can do all the work myself, new enough so there was relatively a good supply of vehicles at a reasonable price, popular enough so that aftermarket stuff is in abundance and finally, its a truck, so there is a practical use for the thing.

Some background on the truck....its a 69 C10 LWB with a crate 350 and saginaw 4 speed manual. It's got the blue/white/blue paint scheme, I know, I know, pictures will be forthcoming once I get this thing going.

Now, this is where you guys come in. One of the most striking things about this site is all of the expert advice and suggestions that I've seen offered up countless times. It's like a bunch of brothers all trying to out-do each other, but at the same time willing to lend a hand or a piece of advice without hesitation.

The following is a list of things that I "think" I want to do; I want you guys to offer advice, suggestions and/or criticism (if required) to get me headed in the right direction. Yes, I'm very aware that all of my questions have been asked at least 1,000 times but my prime resource (free labor and shop space) is on a very short fuse, I need to get the big stuff done within the next few weeks or I'm afraid my delay will cost $$$$$'s.

Here goes, y'all don't hold back...

1. I plan to transform this thing from a LWB to SWB. Thought I might start with the most controversial first. Will this decision impact or prevent me from doing the rest of my list? I plan to buy new side panels, re-use the gate, front and bed. The bed will be rhino-lined so the re-stitch won't be so noticeable or required to be perfect. Any pitfalls? Best place to buy side panels? LMC has both for $1000 with free shipping?

2. I've wrestled with this one a bunch. 4/6 static drop or bags? Why?

3. Can I run 20's w/ either option? 4/6 or bags?

4. I think ECE or somebody has an all inclusive 4/6 drop for about $800, BUT if I'm going to regret the decision that I didn't bag it, let me know if any of you have gone this route and regretted or not.

5. Does an all-inclusive bag system exist for our trucks? I've seen the kits w/ 4 bags, compressor, tank and controller (and accessories) but with the research I've done don't I have to have plates for the mounts, cups for the CA's and notch kit for the rear? Anybody out there with that ever-elusive, all-inclusive list that I've been searching for?

6. Fuel tank relocate. Seems like this is "the thing" to do...why? Looks like a total pain in the a$$ with all of the variables. Are there any worries about clearance? Somebody whack me up side the head with some strong "this is why's" about this one.

That's a good start for now, hopefully you guys will post up a lot of replies that we'll go back-and-forth on. I'll ask about the other stuff later (paint, interior, wheels, motor, a/c, etc.)

Guys, seriously, thanks in advance for your help and I can't wait to see what kind of reponses I get.

(moderator, my apologies in advance for what I'm sure are about 15 violations to forum posting rules, I blame my Alabama public education!)
ChumBucket is offline   Reply With Quote