The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
neverwinter

got a plan together - not the cheapest but please let me know what you think

spoke to the mechanic again. i will be keeping this truck and wan to invest wisely. disks in the front seem widely approved -even by those with drums - as a pretty solid improvement.

i found a disk brake setup that will let me use my stock spindles (they are fine) for 375 plus ship. essentiailly the same as going to autozone, etc and getting the right parts plus ordering up the caliper brackets. ive done disk conversions before so i feel confident in doing it. for 599 i can get the kit with boosted master cyl and prop valve, all lines etc. need to decide this.

i will source either junkyard rims and tires or prob just go get the ones i want for the front and wait on the back ones till i am done the rear end swap.

will rebuild my rear drums. short money and good project. i can then hunt for a replacement 5 lug rear end for better gearing and to solve the leaky seal issue.

now here is my confusion. mechanic says i need a new drag link or center link. i asked why i cant just remove the slave setup and he said that one of the arms (pittman or idler?) wouldnt have any way of mating up? this is ere my memory is hazy and i am way confused. any clarification? if i do need a new drag link or center link are there any ways besides trying to soure a 1963 one?

thanks again
- jason
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote