The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Lobo'74

Lesson for my son

I was out at the local hardware store yesterday and realized that although my truck came with an extra fan/alternator belt and an extra power steering belt that if one broke on me away from home I was SOL because I had no tools in the truck. A $5 tool box and a $15 set of tools (pliers, channel locks, ratchet screwdriver with multiple bits) and a visit to my home tool box to throw in an adjustible wrench and I was set. Fits nicely in the passenger side cab corner.

My 16 year old and I were out on the way to the county landfill today when the fan/alt belt broke. Engine went from 200 degrees to 250 by the time I could pull over. At least it didn't boil over. Got the new belt on (had to use the lug wrench end as a pry bar on the alternator) and was back on the road in 10 to 15 minutes. Out in the middle of NOWHERE had two fellas stop to ask if I needed tools/help...then they stood around and talked trucks to me till I was done. Back on the road at speed, back down to 190-200 range almost immediately.

My son was impressed that I fixed it (this generation hasn't grown up on engines you CAN work on) but was REALLY impressed that I thought of the tools and got them yesterday for the failure today.

Ah, an Andy Griffith moment in a Homer Simpson world.

Try to keep cool y'all.....
Lobo'74 is offline   Reply With Quote