The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
crabbypatty333

New to forum - Looking for information

Hello,

Next week my dad will be driving down from Powell, WY to Tulsa, OK to deliver my grandfathers 1968 Chevy Truck. My Dad will be trailering the truck down. It does run, and I was game for the adventure of trying to drive it down, but in the end it was decided that it was not necessary to take the risk. Could have been a cool experience though...

The truck has been residing with my aunt in Powell since my grandfathers death back in the mid 90's. The VIN # is CS148S125167. Based on my limited knowledge this means I have a 1968 1/2 ton truck with a 6 cylinder. That means either a 250 or 292 6-cylinder, right? I believe the motor to be the 292 but I will have to confirm engine codes when I receive it.

I have seen the truck before although I have not spent a lot of time with it. It is a single cab long bed. I don't know how many miles are on it. My recollection is that it is generally all there and I don't recall a ton of rust although like I said I didn't look it over very close. My goal for the truck is to keep it road worthy and maybe someday repaint it and redo the interior. I am not a mechanic. I have limited skills and tinker at best. I imagine that I will be out sourcing most of the engine/drive train work and the body work and painting.

Questions for the forum:
1) Any specific advice you would give me before before starting on this journey?

2) I anticipate one of the early steps to be either rebuilding the existing motor or replacing it with a crate motor. My primary consideration is going to be budget, budget, budget. Opinions? If I go crate, how difficult would it be go to a 350 v8? Any recommendations on transmissions to go with the 350 for a good, realiable, budget priced drive train?

3) Are there any forum members in or near the Tulsa area that would be willing to take the time to meet with me and share some of their experience, possibly look at my truck with me, and offer opinions on reputible places to get engine or body work done?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm sure I will have several more posts in the near future.
crabbypatty333 is offline   Reply With Quote