The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #19
rustyrodknocker

Re: An expensive lesson learned

Here is an opinion that may not be appreciated, but all things being equal starting with a bent pushrod which in my expierence has always been due to the pushrod being subject to excessive pressure. meaning rocker arm to tight/ incorrect adjustment. seen this many times. this would also explain a radical difference in wear on four lobes. with the same run time and equal lube and pressure the differences between lobes should be less than extreme. I would check the visible thread count above the nut on the rocker stud and disasemble the lifters or at least check spring back with a screwdriver or something similar. my next point is the vast majority of these old rigs [meaning millions] are running off the shelf motor oil. If it was devastating to flat tappet motors, these trucks would be stacking up in the ditch. My last point is just a personal expierence with a from mexico crate motor. My buddy called me over, he had his motor still in the crate, it was minus intake. You could see holes in the cam lobes. We both recognized it immediatley as we are both professional welders. Weld porosity The cam had been welded and reground. welded very poorly. starting porosity from what I guessed was smaw nirod. True story folks. Take it as you may. Hencho Rebuild. That being said my next motor will be roller, I think it is the way to go now.