The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
ronh72c10

Supporting stripped cab by hinge bolts and striker, good idea?

I wanted to run this idea by the somebody else before I did it and caused myself some grief.

I've got to do a fair bit of floor repairs to my cab including the pans, rockers, corners, mounts etc... I figured I could weld together a little jig from 2x2 square tube that went from the striker plate to each of the hinges, that could be bolted in place to hold the opening square while the rockers were replaced. Then I got the brilliant (maybe?) idea of making it possible to bolt the jig in each door frame to each end of the frame rotator I made. Making it alot easier to work on the pans of the cab from the top and bottom.

That said the question is, are the hinge and striker plate locations strong enough to support the weight of a completely stripped cab?

BTW the cab has to come off since the frame it's sitting on is nearly gone.

Thanks,
Ron

Here's a pic from the driver's side, the passenger side is a little better, there's also some rust out in the floor at the back of the cab.
Attached Images

ronh72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote