The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
jtaylor

1969 K10 restoration in NH

Picked up a cheap 1969 K10 LWB in Vermont last week with some serious body rust. Planning for new full floor pan, rockers, 1 cab corner, minor patching here and there. Rebuilding a 1979 350 to drop in it after frame and chassis parts are all done....
I thought I'd start a post here with pictures to get some advice on repairs, especially to the last few feet of rear frame. The frame from the the rear leaf spring forward is great, engine area still has some factory frame paint... But the frame in the last 2 to 3 feet has some rot through, a little split/crack starting and has thinned out noticeably. Would probably be ok for light use, but I plan to pull a small boat and to drive on a few rough roads at some point... I haven't found any similar situations in threads on this site yet to get ideas on frame repairs. Where it's only the rear part that's bad, I hate to call the whole frame no good, so I'm hoping some U channel fabricated to fit inside the frame along with plates and bolts will beef it all up so I can still use it like a truck. Planning to sandblast, rust seal and then weld in new pieces. Any tips?
Also, any recommendations for places to get a new frame crossmember? Here's some pics, looking forward to some ideas/advice
Attached Images

Last edited by jtaylor; 11-05-2011 at 11:49 PM.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote