The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
litew8

Re: Project "My Happy Mess"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good!
ty VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
From reading couple pages could you use the corvette upper braket and not have had to mod alt and gave your more clearance? Or would you have had to buy more then just upper bracket? Thanks Brandon
Hi Brandon. No. The (shorter) Upper bracket installed in the stock location (on top of the lower bracket) wouldn't reach the alternator. That's why we had to drill a second hole (to the right on the lower bracket) - to extend the tension bracket outward. To do it right, the bottom bracket should get replaced with the Corvette lower (aluminum) bracket so that it extends the alternator out to the right. Coupled with the Corvette Upper (longer) tension bracket. That way Everything will get pushed outward towards the fender, and no tension issues would arise. There's a point of no return when pulling on the alternator as it sits now with the current setup. If you pull too far to get tension, the arc will start to go downward and the belt just loosens up. So to be correct, everything needs to be lengthened to the right for proper tension. If I end up using the Corvette brackets, I'll probably need a 55" v-belt also.

Hope that helps answer your question in a roundabout way.
A more direct reply - Both upper and lower Corvette brackets should be used for best clearnace.
The upper bracket should be a longer arc, and the lower bracket should kick out to the right more.

As it sits, I probably will end up having 1/8" clearance from alternator (after shaving the back edge and 1/2 of the bolt head) to valve cover.
As long as the alternator doesn't vibrate loose and move, it should remain fine.

I've asked that some of the posts up thread be removed so that they wouldn't cause confusion. va

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Engine stuff looking real good....Jim
ty Jim

Last edited by litew8; 11-06-2011 at 08:50 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote