The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
IslandPilot

65 C-10, Building my son his first Truck

My intentions were good... My 14 year old son is going to need his own wheels pretty soon and and thought, "Let him help build his own truck and he'll treat it better than if I just bought him one." Nevermind that I had zero experience. How hard could it be?

As far as projects go, this is the textbook way on how not to get started. I was out of town and my wife found this truck on Craigslist. $1500 and drivable!

It was drivable, just not legally (no lights) or safely (not a lotta brakes). But we had fun tearing it apart. If anyone wants this engine.. I have no idea where it came from or what it is. It does run. The junkyard offered me $45. I think I'll take it.

I like the custom shifter installation

We pulled the bed apart and then the front end. We've got quite a load for the sandblaster. So much that we invested in a sandblasting cabinet. Gotta love craigslist.

Looks a little different now.

So goes the easy part. Next the cab come off and I'm guessing that we will try to find a replacement as this one is pretty rough. I'll have plenty to do until then.

Shopping list; front fenders, 350 crate engine and transmission, cab. (and a new compressor to keep up with the sandblaster)

It will have to wait till I get back from a couple of weeks at the office.

What I fly

Things I need a lot of help with; Upgrading the brakes and steering, engine switch, etc, etc. Sure am glad I found this forum!

Not sure I uploaded the pictures correctly, guess I'll need help there too.

George
IslandPilot is offline   Reply With Quote