The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller

Worlds largest crane in my backyard

I know its not truck related, but it is extremely "manly" and thought some of you might be interested

I'm working at Intel here in AZ and they will have the worlds largest mobile crane on site for the next year while we build (2) new "Super Fabs" on site. This thing is crazy huge...

They do not allow cameras on site, but I was able to get a few picks with the camera phone.

Intel's new $5B semiconductor factory, called FAB 42 in Chandler has the distinction of being built using the worlds largest "mobile" crane. The yellow Sarens SGC 120, nicknamed "Big Benny," was shipped to Chandler from Belgium starting in June and assembly of this massive crane was completed this week. It cost over $1m and 100 truckloads in (3) months to move it to the site. It will soon be employed in lifting the larger components onto the factory building. The crane is mounted to the ground on a circular, 120 foot diameter set of tracks for the duration of the job. The main boom is 426 ft long with a jib that extends another 295 ft, for a maximum height of 689 ft. It can lift as much as 3500 tons. The blue part on the back is (8) stacks of cargo containers filled with sand. The crane is adjacent to a 4 story building (Fab32).

This picture was taken over (4) miles away...

These are from the construction parking lot over a 1/2 mile away. Fab 32 is on the left.

This is from the opposite side over a 1/2 mile away.

They are making the first "lift" on Monday and I hope to get video of it

66 GMC LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399283
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote