The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
mr48chev

Task Force Cameo Suburban

My best friend who is more like my big brother than a friend forwarded me these photos today along with a story that had all the makings of someone being given a real bs story.

The person who took the photos said that the trucks owner told him that it was a GM concept rig from the fifties that was one of two. What it is is one of the nicest custom jobs I have ever seen on a mid 50's Suburban.

I know nothing about it except what the photos show and it may even belong to a board member for all I know. The photos were taken at the NHRA museum at some event and the photo taker was Tim who may just be a bit gullible even though he is good with a camera.

The story in the email is here and believe it if you want to.

-

The ONLY 56 Chevy Step-side Suburban

I spotted this incredible car at the NHRA Museum. After catching my breath, I talked with the owner and was informed this is the only one in existence. It was originally one of two concept cars designed by the famous pioneering, industrial designer Harley Earl—GM automotive designer and VP @ GM [he designed the Corvette among many others]. The other Suburban was destroyed. This one was meticulously restored to it's original condition: no customizing, no grafting of parts from other cars... this is the way Earl designed it! The dash got some upgrades in instrumentation and new steering wheel, but this dash is basically the way it was made in 1956. The combination of the step-side quarter panels and the Nomad tailgate is stunning. The color combination is wonderful. The current owner was a long time executive at GM and after years of wheeling and dealing, finally got the car.... along with original plans, drawings, sketches and notes from Harley Earl. Talk about an historic find.... Wow! Tim

Again I know nothing about it, don't know who Tim is but the photos were more than worth sharing.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote