The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
mark '87 930

New to the forum..looking for some opinions/advice

I am in the process of purchasing a 55-57 3100 and have two that I've narrowed it down to.
a little history about me...I'm way up north in Canada, so this truck will be a summer driver for me. We have a cottage 1.5hrs north of hte city where i'll be spending most of my time and driving to and from once a week with this truck as it'll be our second car during the summer months.

Needless to say, I'll be paying attention to fuel mileage a little bit but it's not too important. I'm in the process of selling an older Porsche that isn't the greatest on gas anyhow, so I'm used to paying for gas.. The two I'm looking at are pictured below. Both are askign the same money. I am very much partial to the a manual transmission

The black truck ('57) is in slightly better shape and has a nice bed with a period correct rear bumper. Both have all steel bodies and no visible rust or repair work. Frame is solid and straight, has a sbc and turbo 350 transmission in it. The interior is in very good shape, but I'm not liking the contrast between the orignal colors and the mat black paint that was chosen.

The wite truck ('56) is in good shape also, just shy of the black when it comes to cleanliness. The windshield has a crack on the passenger side, the bed is just a sheet of plywood and the bumper is from another era truck, however she is ready to haul with (I have 2 dirtbikes and a boat that i haul a very short distance 1 a year). It does have a manual 4 speed which i really like though and the interior is a more neutral color. Speedo and temperature gauges don't work.

Is it more work and money to change out the auto to a manual transmission, or should i jsut change out a windshield and build a bed on the the white one? The only thig the black truck has going for it is that the bed, the ignition system has been changed to HEI, the chrome bumper and slightly nicer shape.

Lots to read, I know.. but I'm new to trucks, go easy on me.
Attached Images

mark '87 930 is offline   Reply With Quote