The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
97gase

Slammed Towing Oxymoron?

I'm Working on my 61 C10 long bed and want it as low as possible and still be able to tow a car hauler or vintage travel trailer with it. I ordered 1.5" blocks from Way2lo2 and am looking for a set of TJ rear springs. I have a set of original 1/4 elliptic leaf helper springs from my half ton parts truck. I'll just mount the helpers up a little higher than stock so they would engage with over 500LBs of load. The helpers will add about a half ton of support over the Jeep's towing capacity. I figure I'll need a slight C-notch and am willing to channel the bed a couple inches. I don't want the notch to weaken the frame too much so it'll be boxed and beefed. That way i can still use a bumper pull trailer. As for the engine, it is a 403 Smokey and the Bandit setup and makes ample power. I'm planning on stock 89-98 6 lug disks up front with custom ball joints and stock drums in back with a power booster. The front suspension will be indexed and turned down 1 ton torsion bars from a 60 model parts truck.

What towing issues do you forsee and what have others done with slammed tow rigs?
97gase is offline   Reply With Quote