The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
1leglance

Buy an old rig and hit the dirt for the holiday weekend

Here is a trip I did about 30 mins after buying this beast.

This is the story of a crazy 1 legged guy and his buddy who went along for the ride
My Black Friday Special was buying this 1970 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4, and since Waymon (TexGX) and I were already planning to camp that weekend we decided to make an adventure out of testing out this completely unknown vehicle on a fun 2 1/2 day trip.

We left Phoenix around 9am and thus gave plenty of time for the crazy shoppers to be ready for a rest break and off the highway. Waymon has his Lexus GX setup very nicely with a African Outback roof rack, Hannibal Awning, custom sliders and a National Luna power pack giving the juice to his fridge. He also built his own storage setup in the back so his new Kodiak tent and all the gear packs in cleanly. And I shouldn't forgot Lacy the dog was along for the adventure and you will see her in pics soon.

So once we test drove the Burbon in Lake Havasu, paid a very fair price, grabbed some lunch and gassed up the rigs we hit the road.
This was our route for Day #1 post vehicle purchase and you can see once we exit I-40 it is all dirt to the mine ruins at Signal, Az...64 miles of wondering if I had lost my mind or if everything would turn out just fine

Oh and almost all these pics are with my cell phone, but a few are Waymons...I will try to make sure to give him proper credit
This is just after we hit the dirt, a ton of fine dust meant keeping some distance between the rigs.

We got to the area I normally like to camp at Signal (huge tree for shade) and found a massive gathering of ATV/Side by Side folks with campers, generators and lights/music and such. Lucky for us there is plenty of area to camp and we were able to get far enough away it wasn't an issue.
The next morning we got up early enough to go hike the various mine ruins without anyone else around and Lacy the dog had a blast flushing quail for the bushes.

Lacy & I looking over some old mine parts...maybe have to fire things back up with the price up gold skyrocketing.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote