The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
popfizzle

Not my normal build. (69 longbed)

So,

I am new here and figured I would show you guys what I am working on. I picked up a 1969 c10 longbed in a trade for a 1996 golf vr6 I had laying around. I got the truck because I always wanted a '69, as I remembered them fondly from growing up in Cookeville TN - we used to have them all over the place and I loved the front grill and the way the headlamps with covers looked "lazy".

I am a VW guy at heart and prior to the tornadoes and hail storms here in Knoxville I owned a 1986 Scirocco 16v I built painstakingly from the ground up. I was unfortunate enough to have left it outside the night before and didn't have time before the storm to get it to my friends garage - not that it would have made much of a difference since the hail was large enough to drive its way through metal roofing.

Here is a pic of the 'rocco for those interested - it was totaled in the storm and leaves a very large gaping hole in my heart still nearly a year later. I tried to salvage the car but with water damage and all the broken parts that are no longer available, it was a lost cause. I took the insurance money and sold it.

So, I ended up trading a golf for this truck to a guy from Owensboro KY - I know none of the history on this truck but really like it (even though by my standards this is a rough place to start) and it needs parts.

This is the truck on the lift at the shop getting the initial "what's up" look from my and the little guy:

when I got it home it was entirely too hard to steer, even for a manual steering truck. I ripped the wheels off to find pieces of bearings loose in both sides.

The previous owners of this truck have put some decent stuff on it, but I plan on going a different route all together than what they had planned I believe.

I want to put the truck back together as stock as possible and then do air. I know - it is done entirely too often, but on a truck like this I figure it is something new and fun. I have went fast - now I want to go fast(ish) and be able to haul firewood. I may eat these words, but I am not cutting the bed floor because I want to use it to haul.

a few more pics for the time being: