The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
jocko

HELP! I know you all love working nuisance electrical issues.... Here's one:)

My taillight fuse keeps burning out. Dome, License, Stop and Tail Lamps all on the same fuse (per the service manual) - and they are all going out together.

Here's a potentially helpful clue (or a useless distractor) - my gauge cluster lights are going out at the same time - and are restored with a new fuse (the same one that I replace for the tail lamps...)! THAT doesn't seem quite right.

So, NO changes to the electrical system. And this problem just cropped up. I'm cornfused as all get out. Problem is - I never notice this until I drive at night and notice the dash lights are out. @#$%^&*

I have changed the fuse and it was good to go for many days - then, all of a sudden, got caught with my pants down again. Local Barney Fife is ALL about giving out tickets for breathing the wrong way, so gotta be careful. Lucky so far.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think that somehow my tail/instrument circuits are piggy-backed and the instrument lights AND all the other stuff mentioned above are running through the single fuse - and they should not be. Still gotta get under the dash and do some more investigating, but previous under-dash time showed a what appeared to be a stock wiring system...

Would suck if this was my daily driver. Sometimes it is, but normally I have an option, so that's good.

Appreciate any ideas. Bottom line, unpredictable, unrepeatable (on purpose) tail lamp common fuse burning out. Considering just putting in a 20A fuse, but worried I'd then risk a wiring fire. And that would suck even more.
Thoughts?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote