The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
KVB

What to do, What to do.

A little background

I have had my truck for a year now. It is a 1965 GMC short wideside, with leaf suspension in the rear and a 230 6 cylinder with a four speed transmission. In the past year, I have most of my time following different builds on this site as well as others. Researching the truck, checking vin numbers and collecting various manuals, documents and books. Gathering parts for the repairs required.

My idea for this truck is to have a daily driver, that I can use to haul a camper, or go get some dirt for landscaping, make a run to the hardware store for 2x4’s and plywood. Pull a motorcycle trailer.

I am mechanically inclined. I have a good range of tools and am in the process of equipping myself with more. I am able to borrow some tools, such as mig welder, engine crane.

I have redone the brakes, replaced the shoes, hold down kits, all four slave cylinders, have run new brake lines, reusing the old tees, will turn the drums last. I have replaced the rear end seals. Changed all oils. Have gotten the motor running. I have taken apart the bed in the box, gotten new Southern Yellow pine and ordered new steel bed strips for it.

I realize that I have a ways to go to get things done. Since the truck is from California, and I live in Quebec, the motor vehicle people require that the truck be inspected. The requirements as I can best tell are that all mechanical & safety equipment works. They are not too worried about the look of the vehicle, so paint and even some rust is not an issue.

The questions

My problem is getting after the body work. I am unclear as to how to proceed here. I realize you begin by removing what is there to see the state of affairs, so sandblasting is required, but not on the exterior as it will stretch the metal. Once the metal has been blasted, it needs to be protected. Do sandblasting companies do this, or am I better off going to a body shop and having them sandblasting, protect and repair. What do you blast it with. I have a smalll handheld self contained blaster, can I do it with this and lots of patiences?

I have holes in the cab floor, right where the floor bends up to the firewall. Is this just a simple patch job, or do I need to replace the floor panel, right & left. Do the rockers need to be replaced, there is an inner & an outer right? There is some rust around the windshield on the upper side, needs cutting & welding. I need a new windshield. Is that difficult to install?

If I get the truck into primer, how long can it be exposed to the elements that way before it needs to be painted. I am looking for a good paint job, not showtime paint job. I am thinking of White (original), Yellow or teal. Are there any special preperations that I need to take into consideration?

Are replacing rockers and patch panels within the realm of newbies? I plan on taking a 15 hour Mig welding course at the local tech school.

I have attached a couple of pics to give you an idea of the situation.

Thanks for any comments

Ken
Attached Images

KVB is offline   Reply With Quote