The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Building an Instrument cluster!

Want to build an instrument cluster for my 69. Want it to look just like the factory or close to it anyway. Adding a clock and maybe thinking of getting my background to be white and also interested in an 8k tach that looks original.

Has anyone used the 8k tach? Any thoughts on it? Is it accurate? Do you need to make a lot of modifications to make it work? My truck currently only has fuel gauge, speedometer, and generator light. So it's just the basic three hole bezel. My reason for wanting an 8k tach is I'm putting a BBC in the truck so I don't want to peg the 5k tach out all the time.

Is it easier to run a printed circuit board or could I just leave that off and wire these gauges in themselves? Just in case I decide to move the clock in a different place than what everybody else puts them if that's even possible?

How much would it cost to build a cluster like this? I know you can buy the cluster with an 8k tach from Classic Industries and places like this for close to $700. Would it just be better to go this route? I think it would be fun to build it myself though and maybe I'll save some money in the long run.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote