The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Igorsgonemadd

Igors Sled

Ok, so I finally bought my dually!! It's a 1988 GMC Crew Cab Sierra classic, squarebody. I will get some pics of it up tomorrow, its raining now. I'm pretty happy with it, except the rust. Both rockers and cab corners are rusted. I think the rest of it is good though. So I need you guys to make me feel better about the rockers and the corners. I really wanted to find one without rust....but I got tired of looking. Its got the TBI and a pretty solid red interior, which is the color I want and I got a great deal on it. I plan on a static drop 6/8 with helper bags. a few subtle body mods, shaved stake pockets, section bumpers, shave bumper bolts and re-chrome, replace tailget trim with blazer trim and relocate handle( stole that from wide load c-30) . Not sure about paint yet, right now just plan on fixing the rust and try to touch it up. Paint job really isnt in the budget right now. I just want it lowered, rust fixed, interior spruced up some and replace the leaky gas tank ASAP.....Then drive it!! Then ill start on the other stuff. My dad had one of these trucks and he had big plans for it. We worked on it together and talked alot about things we were gonna do to it, had a 502 for it and all the bodywork done. But then he got sick and he had to let it go. He's been gone almost 20 years now. But everytime I see one of these trucks i remember the plans we had. Now I have one and I know he's gonna be up there smiling at every nut thats turned

I ordered my lowering kit today, 6/8 western chassis kit. I also ordered a new dash pad, some trim, chrome tailgate handle, both rockers and cab corners and some other small stuff. But I need advice on my shocks and helper bags. Shocks first, so are drop shocks going to give me a better ride than stockers with extenders? Also, the shock extenders I seen on summit were like 80$, for about twice that you can get drop shocks, which I would think would be better. So why put the extenders on it in the first place? Bottom line is, I want to do it right the first time. If the drop shocks will give me a better ride then thats what I want. So if you guys suggest the drop shocks, which ones? Next, the helper bags, suggestions? I see the ones in lmc, the load lifter 5000 for 319$ Then the load controller air comp for another 199$....ouch. So should I go with these and do I need the on-board air comp?

While I'm at it, I got a few more questions. On the rear I read I'm gonna need to notch my sway bar....can someone tell me how to do that? I plan on taking the bed off to do everything. Can two guys lift the bed off and carry it? Also, is there a main bed harness or do ia have to unplug all the wires from the lights individually? I plan on driving it to a buddys house once we get it lowered to change gears in the rear end, replace rockers and cab corners. Is there some sort of adapter tailight that I could just plug in to mount on the frame while the bed is off. I dont wanna be cutting any of the light harness to rig up temporary lights. Oh and lowered bumpstops, where do you guys get them?

I know theres alot there and my parts wont even be here till january, but the truck means so much to me, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Pics tomorrow, Promise!!!

Top ** * *
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote