The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Rannos

BBC cam selection

I am currently building a 496 bbc for my 64 swb. It will be 10.2ish compression with a set of 088 rect. port GM heads. The truck will be driven on the street but not often and its weighs with me in it around 3300-3400lbs. I am running a 3.73 with 28" tires (may change to a lower gear if the rear end gives it up). Mainly building the truck for me and my son to do the local 1/8 mile index racing... wanting to do the 6.5 or maybe the 6.0 class if the truck runs well. I have been looking at cams and there are soooo many similar cams I just cant make up my mind. I was originally going to go with a Comp Cams XR286R because I have a set of valve springs with titanium retainers laying around form an old project but seeing as I am gonna street drive it I am worried about spring pressure and such. So I started looking at flat tappet solids and even some bigger hydraulic rollers and now I am lost. I am more interested in a nice flat torque curve then peak numbers. Also I really don't want to spin this motor all that high (say shifting 62-6400). It will also see Nitrous every now and then.... no more then 200 shot. Anyone build something similar and have good luck with a certain cam or should I just call a few manufacturers and see what they say? Also anyone happen to know at what lift I will need to mill my valve guide bosses down at? Thanks for any information on this.

Jay
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote