The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Project 72 View Post
I have to say this is one of a few builds on this site that I look forward to.Your descriptions of what you are doing, plus all the pics are really inspirational.
To build a running truck on less than 4 grand is amazing!! I feel like going and getting a stud gun and slide hammer to pull the dents on my box sides,because of your excellent work!
And the fact its a GMC makes it so much better!
Looking forward to more great pics!

Chris
Thanks! As far as the stud gun goes, see if you can borrow one first. They are kinda spendy. I had nothing to loose banging the dents out, but time. I had replacement sheetmetal on hand to replace if needed so I could take the risk that most would be afraid to take.

Here's some pics. Front of the case, front output shaft retainer cover removed...

Back of the case with the rear output shaft and retainer removed, also the other covers removed.

The rear output shaft, that hole has 15 needle bearings in about 3 inches. Just use some grease in there and on the needles to get them back in place. There is just a washer and spring wire retainer holding them. I don't think I would have had to pull the shaft out all if I had removed the bearing from the retainer housing first. There are needle bearings in the retainer housing also.

Needle bearings and rear output shaft bearing. The haynes manual said there were 2 rows of 32 needles each, but mine had 1 row of about 45. The 1971 and 72 GM Chassis Manual has no info at all on the transfer case. There are web sites that show the breakdown also.

This is the speedo drive on the PTO cover. The speedo drive had no O-rings at all, and it wasn't even pictured on the t-case breakdown pics I had.

The gasket/seal kit I'm looking at will probably include the shifter rod seals, but I don't know if I can replace them withot pulling the shafts out, which would require pretty much a complete disassembly, which I'm trying to avoid. Hows that for a run on sentence? Anyway, I might just try to pull the seals with the shafts still in. They are at the top and not really a point for oil leakage out, but more to keep outside stuff from getting in. Probably won't get parts until next week. This weekend I'll pull the adapter off and see if I can get the tranny seal replaced and maybe strip some more paint and spray primer. Have to see what plans the wife has.

Happy New Year to you and yours!
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote