The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Ledslinger

Dana 44 rear axle bearing seat repair

I've owned my 1961 GMC Suburban since 1978 and never had a drum off until yesterday. I'm pulling off the RR drum and notice some play in the wheel bearing and I'm thinking no big deal until I remove the bearing. I chisel off the retaining ring and the bearing falls off. The bearing is loose on the shaft and has worn into the shaft. I looked for a shop to weld it up and grind to a press fit, but the reply was heat treatment is ruined and axle might break.

So it appears the only option is trying to find a used axle. My sub is a GMC and has 17.5" wheels with 6 lugs. I'm not sure if 2WD used Dana 44 axles or if 15" wheel equipped trucks used the same bolt pattern. If the bolt pattern is only for 17.5" 4WD, a used axle might be hard to find.

Any ideas on if a press on bearing seat can be repaired, or have info on axle interchange? I'd rather maintain the originality and match the left axle than use an aftermarket axle.
Ledslinger is offline   Reply With Quote