The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Gmichael

Went to have my truck aligned, but had a problem.

Appearently the control arm ball joints taper doesnt match the spindles taper and subsequently couldnt be aligned, not to mention dangerous to drive and damaging to the ball joints and spindles.

A little background on the truck:

I bought this truck about 4 months ago, and have spent that time putting the truck back together. It was basically a roller, with an engine and trans in the bed. Just prior to me buying it, the PO had put on drop spindles in the front and drop springs in the back. Also, someone along the way has put a 12 bolt rear end and disc brakes up front (both are 5x5 bolt pattern(the truck is a '70 c10) So long story short, it is a hodge podge of parts. Im not entirely sure what year range spindles i have or ball joints/control arms etc... And if im not mistaken, a '70 originally had 6 lugs and drum brakes.

I brought it back to my house to tear it down and replace whats necessary. I plan on taking the spindles to the autoparts store and finding the ball joint that fits properly and replacing them. My guess is (please tell me if you agree or disagree) that it has 71/72 style spindles due to the disc brakes, but earlier ball joints. Does anyone know if these have different tapers?
Gmichael is offline   Reply With Quote