The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
jocko

"lowering" brake/clutch pedals in a 66...

Anyone ever done this? My pedals are way high, and I'm not THAT tall. By "lowering" i really mean pie-cutting the back side of the pedal arms and bending them back to fill the pie cut and re-welding - the end result being the pedals are moved slightly closer to the floor/firewall (as on an arc scribed by the swing of the pedals).

If I pressed my clutch in a way that would be comfortable, I'd always bang my knees on the steering wheel. So, I have to kinda rotate my foot up and around in front of the pedals - just to get it on top of the pedal with my knee under the steering wheel.

Maybe folks were shorter in '66 (I know i was... )

I HAVE seen this done - in fact, if you watch Overhaullin, they did it to the 72 C10 that they did for one guy (sweet truck) - they pie-cut the back sides of the pedal lever arms (i.e. the part that acutally hangs down and attaches to the pedal... Not the pushrod into the master cylinder or booster), heated them up with a torch, bent them about 10-15 degrees, and then welded them. Seems it would put the pedals in a much more comforatable position. And I have plenty of travel available left after my clutch is engaged and the brakes are fully depressed. I'm a little hesitant on the brake pedal since I may have different dynamics if I upgrade to power disks at some point.

Thoughts? Anyone done anything similar?
Thanks,
Jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote