The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
hemifalcon

1965 Suburban Resto-Rebuild

Okay.. So, I'll start a thread on here as I think this may be a little more helpful then then H.A.M.B. (Don't be me wrong, the HAMBer's are a great crowd but I think the 60-66 guys will be able to assist me more specifically with this project..)
If you'd like the original background regarding my acquisition of this project--then you'll have to visit..http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=631495
(Short of the long story is I bought it from California--drove it back to my home while towing a '41 Ford Coupe behind--and then blew the head on it when I was hauling some lumber around my house--All during October 2011)

My plan is a basic rebuild-resto(which all stemmed from the cylinder head issue)--and upgrading of some simple stuff. I've found more rust on the body than I originally knew existed--but what else is new. I will be repainting it again in 2-tone, unsure exactly what color other than white (thinking original, teal, or seafoam green). I will lower it a little with simple springs and upgrade to disk brakes in the front and will convert to 5-lug axles. The interior will remain semi-spartan with the original seats-reupholstered (to include the passenger flip seat)-and I'm not sure if I'll leave the rear cargo area clear yet. I will be putting on a proper rear hitch. The wheels will be steel 15"ers with stocker type dog-dish hubcaps with the tall tires that I have on it now. I have recently acquired a very nice '65 C10 cab which will donate much of the sheetmetal--and I also got some NOS rocker panels with the purchase. I have thought of putting a '60-63 hood on the suburban--but unsure yet. I will be re-skinning the doors as well. There's quite a bit of work ahead of me.. And i'm looking forward to it.. Oh--and by the way, a 292 will power the truck once again still relying on the 4-speed trans (it got me from California to Chicago'ish just fine--I'll gladly do it again..) Here's all the pictures to date of the original acquisition..

this was me leaving the PO's house..

And this was exactly how I left Stockton, Ca after getting all the things in order--or at least mostly in order..

For more pictures of the trip adventure-please feel free to look here..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...011/?start=all

If you'd like to see the pics on Photobucket--use this link..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...65%20Suburban/

Here are some recent pics--sorry for their goofy order..

Here are some pics of the cab that picked up from my friend Dan in Jackson, Wisconsin.

Here's the engine.. The trans has been re-sealed and detailed from the grimy mess seen above..

hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote