The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
Truckstr

Exclamation Check those battery cables!!!

I'm on my way to a Doctor's appointment yesterday. Everything seems normal, but when I pull to a stop at a red light I see smoke rolling out from under the edge of the hood! Yikes!

I quickly scan the gauges and all seems normal, so I leap out and lift the hood. Both battery cables are melted BAD and the positive cable is on fire! Double yikes!

I yank at the cable trying to stop the electrical fire and promptly burn the crap out of my fingers. I go back around to the cab and grab the fire extinguisher that I carry for just such an occasion. A quick burst and the fire's out. Whew!

As soon as I'm satisfied that it's not going to burn anymore I push it into a nearby parking lot - an Eckerd's pharmacy. How convenient. Thankfully, there is also an Auto Zone about two doors down.

The problem? It seems that an adel clamp came loose and allowed the positive battery cable to wedge itself between the frame rail and the lower radiator hose. It rubbed the covering through and... presto, short circuit city.

Of course, I didn't have any tools with me, so I ended up buying a neat liitle package of end-wrenches with sockets on the other end and a pair of pliers (and of course a couple of new battery cables and a roll of electrical tape). 45 minutes and a little sweat later and it's fixed and I'm on my way. {Never did make it to that Doctor's office, oh well}.

Bottom line: number one check those battery cables! There could be something amiss. Also carry a small set of tools - it won't hurt. And a fire extinguisher wouldn't hurt either.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote