The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
57truckguy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Hey Sarge,, I took an old piece of copper pipe and split it, it was split already from a freeze, and use that to back up my welds.. It works great and (fancy word) inexpensive.. LOL It bends to any shape I need and gets in some pretty tite spots as I made three or four(can't seem to find all of them all the time, must be the ghost) of them in different sizes the back up makes a big difference as I can lay in a puddle and let it cool to grind down later.. I use metal plugs for anything bigger then 1/4 inch at least for me that seems to work better then trying to fill in a big hole.. I also did some lead work on the firewall , found it to be a lot easier then we're led to believe. Just have to make sure the area is clean for the lead to stick.. Takes some practice but doable by almost anyone... the only problem now is that getting the lead has gotten very expensive. When I did mine 10 years ago only cost about a dollar a pound now its a lot higher and the EPA is all over the place trying to get it banned all together.

Last edited by 57truckguy; 02-09-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: can't type after midnight.. LOL
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote