The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Ryan99

Disc brake/master cylinder/booster ????

First time poster here. I’m new to the hobby and I’m working on my first project so I definitely don’t have the wealth of knowledge that a lot of you have. I’ve got a few questions regarding the disc brake upgrade that I haven’t seen specific answers to. I’ve searched the database and gotten to the point that I think I’m going in circles so I figured it was time to post my questions. Apologies if these have been addressed before.

My truck is a 1965. It appears to have factory a factory brake booster and master cylinder. I’d like to upgrade the front to disc brakes (5 lug) while keeping the rear brakes as drums for now, but with the option to upgrade to disc in the back in the future. Here are my questions:

1. I understand that I’ll need a new master cylinder for whatever I want to do. But can I use the same master cylinder for a disc/drum setup that I would later use for a disc/disc setup? Is the only difference that I would need a proportioning valve while running disc/drums?

2. Is my factory brake booster acceptable and adequate to use or would I need a newer brake booster? What would be the disadvantage of keeping the original brake booster, assuming it is in good working order?

3. What master cylinder could I use for a disc/drum or disc/disc conversion that would mate up to my factory booster? If there is none, what are my alternative options?

I tend to ask a million questions so I tried to hold off on this post until I’d researched this as much as possible and thoroughly confused myself. I appreciate any input.
Ryan99 is offline   Reply With Quote