The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
mweishaa

Got my bed in, but something isn't right...(long post w/pics)

So when I had my truck at the painters, there was some mis-communication and the cross sills got tossed with some of the other rusty bed parts. I got some fleetside cross sills from 66-PMD-GMC. Thanks man, and good meeting you! So I cut them down, painted them, and got them installed. I had to drill the end holes, the rest lined up.

OK, only a couple of my drilled holes weren't exact... but a quick trip with the angle grinder and they were fully adjustable.

So I was doing all of this with the bed on the truck. I really don't recommend this. And I also don't recommend doing it alone like I did. That last strip in the middle was the toughest, shimmying boards and whatnot to close the gap. But I finally got it. The wood, strips, and bolt kit are from Mar-K. Pine boards, sealed and painted gray.

OK, so now to my problems.
1. you can kind of see it in the pic above, but there were 3 holes in the angle strips (original, not replaced) that I don't have bolts for. I drilled those holes through the wood, but I am not sure what they're for. I emailed Mar-K to see if I got shorted some bolts/nuts.

2. I also got the rubber mounting pads. For a longbed stepside, there are 10 pads. If you notice, I only have 8 bolts. What are the other 2 for?

3. Now the big problem. My bed is only supported at the front and rear. The other 4 mounting points have a big gap. I put the pads in there, but as you can see it's not even close.

Green is the rear one, then look at the one in red

Here is the front. Note the green and red... and what is the one in the middle? There is no bolt for this one, but it seems like there should be.

Welding isn't a problem, so I could fab up some supports to put in there. I'm just kind of confused about it. Why the 10 mounting pads, but only 8 bolts? Do I just fab up supports, even for that one without a bolt through the wood, and secure it there? Need some guru help on this one.
mweishaa is offline   Reply With Quote