The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: 80 CJ7 Rebuild

Well only one picture for what I got done today, but it is a good one!

Finished cleaning and scraping on the motor earlier today, finally was able to mask it off and paint it up. I am really happy with how it turned out, especially with how the cast aluminum valve covers look on it.

I also got my bell housing painted, and started cleaning up the transfer case, the T case was filthy, and even more fun, I broke both of my torx bits trying to remove the 6 bolts that hold the input shaft in place, so I wound up having to drill them out. That was not fun. Luckily I was able to get one of them out in one piece and will be able to use it as an example to get some new ones.

With a few whacks from a hammer I was able to loosen the stubs up enough to pull them out with a pair of vice grips. Tomorrow morning I have a doctors appointment, after that I am going to be heading down to the parts house to get the novak conversions input shaft swapped in, then I will finish cleaning up the transfer case, get it painted, then bolt everything together and it will be ready to be stuffed in!

The next thing I have to worry about is finishing some cleanup on the frame rails, then I am going to paint them with Rust Oleum Undercoating. Then I will be ready to slide the drivetrain in place, and to start seeing what will have to do for a transmission cross member.

Hopefully I can be driving it by Saturday because that is when the temp tag on my other truck runs out.